Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Picture


This picture, The Empire State Building, was the very first picture that I took in NYC. I just came out of the tunnel, turned down Dryer Ave to 34th Street. I was in awe of all the people and activity. I kept driving as I was fumbling with my bag looking for my camera. I finally pulled it out and took this picture through the windshield. I was totally looking like a tourist. It is by far my favorite picture. Every time I drive into the city This is the first building I see in the distance. It makes me smile knowing I am almost there. My mother also loves this building and loves driving down 34th Street.

A little history:

Dryer Ave

Dyer Avenue is named after General George Rathborne Dyer, who was the chairman of the board of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and died while the Lincoln Tunnel was under construction.

Empire State Building

Construction of the Empire State Building began in March of 1930 on the site of the old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel at 350 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street. It was completed 14 months later in May, 1931. Designed by the architectural firm of Shreve, Lamb, & Harmon Associates, the Empire State Building, at 102 stories, was the tallest building in the world until the completion of the first tower of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan in 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment